Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"Never Forget" - Diana Hochman

Honoring the victims of Acteal
It was 10 years ago as a high school student that I first heard the words "Never Forget". I was told by past Holocaust survivors to "Never Forget" what happened to the millions of people who were innocently slaughtered for no reason. Those words have echoed through my mind ever since that journey to Poland where I saw millions of names on burial grounds. I vowed that I would never forget and I truly believed that hatred like this would never occur again. I guess that was my idealistic view as a naive 18 year old that the world could change.

However 10 years later, the words "Never Forget" would be spoken again by someone across the world who had experienced a different massacre but the same hatred against his community. This time, these words came from Sebastian, the President of Las Abejas in Acteal who wanted us to "Never Forget" the 45 victims who were massacred in his community on December 12, 1997. Before this trip to Acteal, I had heard several times that we could be most helpful by spreading their message and by telling others across the world what happened in Acteal. Before I met any of Las Abejas, I knew I would want to spread their message. However, it was not until I heard their stories, met their wives, husbands and children did I realize that I not only wanted to spread their message, it was my duty to get their message across to everyone I encounter.

As we walked around this community, Sebastian pointed out the banana tree where many of the victims were murdered. Just being inches from where a massacre like this occurred was devastating to me. I thought I had prepared myself for this by reading all about Acteal, however there was nothing that could prepare for listening to the stories of survivors and standing in the spot that many men, women and children were brutally murdered. My most vivid memory of that day was walking into their community church where Sebastian pointed out to us the bullet holes in the church. I will never forget how he told us that some people survived because the bodies of the deceased protected them. As we walked out of the church into the sanctuary to honor those victims, I remember looking at all the pictures of the victims. All of those faces will stay with me forever, however it was the pictures of those 5 women who were pregnant that will be the reason I continue to spread their message for those babies who never had a chance to have a voice. I will be their voice.

While their was deep sadness in hearing what had occurred on that tragic December day in 1997, there is definitely hope. These members of Las Abejas see their experience as an opportunity. An opportunity for growth. An opportunity for indigenous rights. An opportunity for women's rights.

As we left our meeting with Sebastian and our reflection session, I immediately went over to the group of women and girls who were smiling waiting for us to sort through their hand-made products. My desire was not to purchase these products just to add to my collection of items from my travels, however it was my way of showing support to this cooperative by spreading their knowledge and wisdom. It was for that reason that I bought several bookmarks. No matter what I am reading, I will remember their story and spread their message. While giving a bookmark may seem like a small present to some, that was my first step in fulfilling their wish to spread their message to everyone that sees the bookmark. I will "Never Forget" and I will help others around the world to "Never Forget".

After returning home from this journey, I wondered how I was truly going to be their voice. It was simple. I needed to start with the people who were most interested in my trip. While many of my friends and family knew very littel about Chiapas in general and even moreso of Las Abejas, this was my first step in fulfilling the wishes of Sebastian and his community. While it is often difficult to explain everything that has happened in Chiapas with regards to indigenous rights and how politics have played a role in this, I found it empowering, yet challenging to be the voice for this community. While I know that my voice can only go so far, I know that by telling their past, present and future lives will hopefully bring them the peace they deserve. While this blog can only go so far, my hope is that it will help others to never forget the strength that the members of Las Abejas possess.